135 Central Park West
The Langham is an apartment building, which was designed in the French Second Empire style by architects Clinton and Russell. The property that The Langham stands on was owned by the same family, the Clarks, who owned the prestigious Dakota. The location remained vacant until the Clark family liquidated it in 1902. At first the property would not sell because they had placed an unusual restriction on it, no building built could exceed the height of The Dakota. Completed in 1907, the New York Times praised the building, noting among its modern amenities "real ice."
One enters The Langham through wrought iron gates to a grand lobby of marble, columns and rich original detail. The 13 floor building resembles a Parisian apartment building in design, and illustrates the influence of French urban culture on 19th and early 20th century New York. 64 rental apartments are arranged around individual light courts, which provide access to light and air.
It was listed as a contributing property to the federal government designated Central Park West Historic District in November 1982.
THE REAL ESTATE BOARD OF NEW YORK REQUIRES
THAT WE VERIFY YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.